Sleep apnea is actually a type of sleep disorder that leads to breathing issues when you are asleep. Obesity and age play a major role in the progression of this condition.
Generally, there are two different categories of sleep apnea. One is Central and the other is Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA).
Check out its Symptoms:
- Continuous and loud snoring
- Sleep disturbance or insomnia
- Waking up from sleep most of the time with sore throat or a dry mouth
- Choking, snorting or gasping while being asleep
- Feeling sleepy or suffering from fatigue during the daytime
- Get up at night several times to urinate
- Continuous headache
Few home remedies to cure your Sleep Apnea and get a better sleep experience:
If you’re affected with mild cases of sleep apnea, then just little changes in your lifestyle may solve your issue. Follow the given below tips to enjoy better sleep-
- Lose weight. When you lose some weight, your throat easily opens up and reduces the symptoms of your sleep apnea problem.
- Daily exercise. Try to do aerobic exercise and yoga on a daily basis so as to strengthen the muscles in your airways and also to breathe better.
- Sleep on your side. Whenever you lie down on your back, it’s the worst position if you are suffering from sleep apnea. It allows your jaw, tongue, and other soft tissues to drop back towards the throat. This narrows your air passage. But whenever you lay on your side, it enables you to keep your airway entirely open. You can even lie on your belly if you want to. Remember, if you lie on your back, make sure that you keep your head elevated.
- Try to stay away from anti-anxiety medication, alcohol, and other sedatives, normally before bedtime. When you have all these, it causes your throat muscles to relax and disturbs breathing.
- You can apply a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) device whenever you sleep. A CPAP appliance can enable you to keep your airways open. All you have to do is apply a mask over your mouth and nose while you are going to bed. The mask is actually attached to a device that pumps the air into your throat with the help of a hose. This lets the throat expand, thus stopping it from getting collapsed!
- Surgery may be another treatment procedure in certain conditions. But always let your oral surgeon recommend what’s perfect for your case!
The Bottom Line
Plenty of health complications can also spring up due to sleep apnea problems—and at times they can even be a threat to life. Hence, you must not neglect the treatment. Health hazards that may occur because of sleep apnea problems are as follows:
- Extreme sleepiness.
- Increased mood swings and disorders, for example, depression or anxiety.
- High blood pressure.
- Memory power worsens, and you may lose the ability to concentrate.
- Continuous headaches.
- Weight gain.
- There is a high risk of strokes, and also irregular heartbeats.
- Increase in metabolic abnormalities.
- Liver problems.
Get the Help you need!
You can get in touch with Beverly Hills Oral & Facial Surgeon if you want to receive the best sleep apnea treatment in Beverly Hills, CA. Our oral surgeon in Beverly Hills will diagnose your problem and will draft a suitable treatment plan. Book your appointment with us now and get rid of your oral problems.